I have a chronic health condition and am worried about developing COVID-19. What should I tell my employer?

Guidance from the Faculty of Occupational Health and the NHS Health at Work Network advises that healthcare staff who are concerned about the specific health risks they face in the workplace should tell their managers.

This should enable a risk assessment to be carried out, which should include your ability to use appropriate PPE and consideration of what roles are available that could allow you to deliver clinical care that doesn't involve face-to-face interaction.

Your employer will be able to assess whether an occupational health assessment might be needed in your case. The guidance says that occupational health advice is unlikely to state that you are unfit for work, but it may recommend alternative work arrangements, such as reduction in aerosol-producing activities, working in an alternative location or temporarily moving to telephone-based advice.

This page was correct at publication on 22/04/2020. Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.