You trust us with your data and we take this seriously. We only use systems which are proven to be resilient and we will handle your personal data with confidentiality and integrity.
Your data is protected behind secure networks and we use encryption and authentication tools to keep it safe. We constantly monitor our network and run independent tests to make sure it remains secure.
Email scams (phishing)
One tactic used by fraudsters is 'phishing'. This is where they attempt to get your personal security information by sending you an email that seems to come from a genuine organisation but by clicking on a link in the email it will direct you to a bogus website. The websites and emails look realistic but often there are tell-tale signs, such as poor design, typos or spelling mistakes.
- All emails from the MDU will include your membership number.
- Our website will have https in the address and there will be a padlock. But look out for subtle spelling mistakes or extra characters.
- Our email address will end in themdu.com or themdu.org.
If you receive an email from us that seems suspicious, forward it to email@example.com. Do not click on any links or attachments. You can also call us 0800 716 376, 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.
As part of our commitment to keeping your data safe and secure at all times we are using Egress to send emails and large file transfers using encryption.
If you're communicating via email with our advisory or legal departments you may receive an email from Egress Secure Email. By following the simple steps on the email, you can read and respond using Egress too.
Why Egress is good for you:
- Egress enables you to receive and send emails via a secure transit
- It's free for you to use when communicating with the MDU
- It improves the way that we manage and control your data
- It reduces the risk of any data breaches occurring.
Create your own Egress account
Using Egress a lot? Download Egress here
To find out more about Egress, visit www.egress.com
If you would prefer not to use Egress, you can email the sender directly requesting this. You must use the same email address as the one that they have used to contact you.
Choose a secure password that includes a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and also special characters. You should avoid commonly guessed words or phrases. Do not share your log in details or use the same details across a number of websites. Also change your password regularly.
Some other tips to help you stay safe when using the internet and the MDU website are:
- Update your browser. Modern browsers add extra protection against fake websites.
- Always logout and close the session when you have finished using it.
- Use anti-virus software that automatically scans your pc and emails for viruses and ensure this is kept up to date.
- Use a firewall and regularly updated anti-virus software to protect your computer from hackers.
For more information about protecting your details when using the internet visit Get Safe Online, a comprehensive guide to safe surfing from the government.