If a victim of domestic abuse has children, should I notify children's services?

You must take action if you're concerned that a child is at risk. You would usually seek the mother's consent but you may share information without consent if you feel the benefits to the child outweigh the benefits of keeping the information confidential.

We advise doctors to seek advice on individual circumstances from the designated lead for child protection within the surgery or local area team, and to contact us.

Read more about your legal and ethical duty in our guide to domestic abuse.

This page was correct at publication on 17/03/2022. Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.

You may also be interested in