Do you provide indemnity for working overseas?

If you are planning to work overseas, please let our membership team know.

  • If you are a paying member in a deanery-approved training post in the UK, you may ask us to extend your membership to include working for up to one year in a recognised supervised training post overseas. This does not apply to the USA, Australia, Canada, Bermuda, Israel, Hong Kong, Nigeria or Zimbabwe. This would not extend to clinical work in a private or unsupervised capacity overseas.
  • Other members working overseas may ask for assistance or indemnity during a visit of less than three months, if the work is mainly of a teaching nature and you have our agreement before you go.
  • All members can receive professional indemnity for Good Samaritan acts worldwide.

This guidance was correct at publication . It is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.

You may also be interested in

Good Samaritan acts

Helping out in an emergency and the medico-legal issues involved.

Read more

Medico-legal news digest: 13 December

Your round-up of the latest medico-legal news, with a focus on patient safety, clinical negligence, new legislation and guidance impacting your practice.

Read more

Scorpion sting

After a child was stung by a scorpion, the GP faced a difficult decision about whether or not to administer anti-serum. He decided not to and the child died.

Read more